Driving With Expired Registration

Driving with expired registration is a seemingly small and harmless ticket. However, most of my clients run in to several unexpected issues as a result of not understanding the correct procedures for dealing with a ticket for driving with expired registration.

As a Southern California traffic ticket attorney, I’ve helped my clients clear up the mess and misunderstanding surrounding these traffic tickets.

How Does Driving with Expired Registration Cause Problems?

Officer Miscommunication

A large part of the problem associated with driving with expired registration tickets is a result of officer communication. “Just get your registration valid and you’ll be good,” an officer might say. Or they’ll say, “Make sure and pay your $25 fine you’ll be ok,” (with no explanation of who to pay the amount to).

Relying on this information, my clients will get their registration valid with the DMV and think there is nothing left to do. WRONG ANSWER. You still have to notify the court that your registration is valid.

You can mail in a copy of the ticket with your proof of valid registration, along with the required fee, but often these get lost in the mail. The best way is to handle it in person with the traffic clerk of the court you are supposed to report to (the address of the court will be at the bottom of the citation above your signature).

Driving with Expired Registration and Failure to Appear with GC Services

So what happens once you’ve gotten your registration valid with the DMV, but you failed to notify the court? Unfortunately, if you don’t report to the court by the appearance date at the bottom of your citation, you’ll be issued a VC 40508 failure to appear. A hold will be placed on your driver’s license, and your license can end up suspended!

Further, if your case is in Los Angeles County, you’ll be referred to a collections agency called GC Services – a money hungry collections agency who will not inform you of your legal rights and who may mislead you into paying them.

If you pay GC Services:

  • you’ll get a misdemeanor failure to appear on your criminal record
  • you’ll pay exorbitant fines (no opportunity to negotiate with the officer or the judge)
  • you’ll get a point on your DMV record if your traffic ticket was a moving violation
  • you’ll likely become very frustrated for not getting any straight answers

As your attorney, I can inform you of ALL legal issues affecting your decision to pay GC Services. Further, if you want me to handle your ticket for you, I can get far better results on your case than if you paid GC Services, including total fines expended.

For help with your driving with expired registration ticket, call me for a free consultation at 888-250-8450 or use the Contact Form below.

[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][gravityform id=”5″ title=”true” description=”true”][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]

Share this post

** Disclaimer
The content on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. Further, you should speak to an attorney about your specific circumstances before acting on the information contained in this website.

Copyright 2018 California Legal Defense, Inc. | All Rights Reserved |