What is VC 14601.1 (a) – Driving With a Suspended License?

VC 14601.1 (a) (driving with a suspended license) is a violation under the California Vehicle Code.

14601.1 (a) is a traffic ticket that can be charged as a misdemeanor or an infraction. If charged as a misdemeanor, it will be handled in criminal court and will be prosecuted by the District Attorney. If handled as an infraction, it will be prosecuted in traffic court.

If you’ve already received a conviction of VC 14601.1 as a misdemeanor, you may want to consider getting a misdemeanor expungement of the conviction. Although an expungement WILL NOT remove points from your DMV record, it can open up future employment opportunities for you.

What Are the Consequences of a 14601.1 (a) Driving With a Suspended License Charge?

Effect on Your Criminal Record

If treated as a misdemeanor, VC 14601.1 (a) can result in jail time, fines, and/or probation.

If treated as an infraction, a 14601.1 (a) conviction will result in fines, but not jail time.

By definition, an infraction is punishable by fines only, and a misdemeanor is punishable by jail time in addition to fines.

Effect on Your DMV Record

Despite whether your driving with a suspended license charge is treated as a misdemeanor or an infraction, this charge is a moving violation and will result in 2 points on your DMV record, if you’re convicted of the charge.

Additionally, you cannot use traffic school to keep these points off of your DMV record because any moving violation that results in 2 points rather than 1 point is ineligible for traffic school.

The reason you don’t want to receive points on your DMV record is because one or more DMV points can result in higher insurance premiums, as well as bring you one step closer to a negligent operator suspension.

Fix the Reason Your License Is Suspended in the First Place

Normally, a driver’s license becomes suspended because you failed to appear in traffic court.

In Los Angeles County, if you failure to appear on a traffic ticket, your ticket will be referred to GC Services. But don’t pay GC Services until you read this because you can unwittingly damage your criminal record and DMV record by doing so.

Often our clients get a suspended license due to a simple fix it ticket such as VC 4000 (driving without registration) or VC 16028 (driving without proof of insurance).

This situation can be remedied much more affordably when you handle it in court rather than pay the collections agency GC Services.

Get Help With Your 14601.1 (a) Driving on a Suspended License Charge

As a traffic defense attorney in Southern California, I’ve handled hundreds of VC 14601.1 charges and probably thousands of traffic tickets that were the reason for the suspended license in the first place.

As an attorney I can help you get the VC 14601.1 (a) charge dismissed, or negotiate a non-moving violation on your behalf, such as a VC 12500 driving without a license charge.

You can reach me for a free consultation at 888-250-8450 or use the Contact Form below.

I Need Help With My Traffic Ticket

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.